There are thousands of blogs out there making the web a very noisy place. If you think you have something that is unique in your blog, you should make the effort to promote it. These days, the old saying that “If you build it, they will come” does not apply.
Promoting is all about gaining exposure and it is much easier to do if you optimize your blog first (10 Easy Ways to Optimize Your Business Blog).
Now that your blog is optimized, let’s go through some of the ways you can promote your blog yourself, and help your fans do the same.
1. Leverage your existing connections. Ask your exiting network of friends and clients to share your posts with their own networks via email or social media. People are more likely to take a recommendation from a friend over that of a stranger or advertisement.
2. Connect with influential bloggers in your industry. Mention them and their work in your posts and on your social media sites. Doing this will encourage them to check out what you have to say as well, and maybe get them to share your posts with their own networks.
3. Promote your posts on all social media sites as soon as they are published. Also, make sure each of your posts includes sharing buttons to enable readers to easily share your content.
4. Include website banners with calls-to-action on your website. These carefully crafted statements should invite visitors to subscribe to your blog.
5. Include a link to your blog in your email signature. Doing this will drive a surprising amount of people to click and check out what else you have to say. But don’t stop there, include this link on your business cards, stationary and all your social media profiles as well.
6. Make a video and post it on YouTube. A creative video that describes what you write about is a great way to attract a new audience.
7. Increase your blogging frequency. In a noisy place such as the web, you need to ensure you stay top of mind with your current clients, and get noticed by new potential clients. Nothing will do this better than blogging regularly and frequently.
8. Make it easy for people to join the conversation. Avoid making visitors register before they can leave a comment on one of your posts. You want to start a conversation and if you put up barriers, it will significantly affect the number of people who join in.
9. Register yourself with other bloggers’ commenting systems. First, this will create a link back to your blog. Second, by commenting on other people’s blogs you are joining their conversation circle which builds your credibility and visibility.
10. Promote your older posts. Identify your most popular posts, make sure the information contained within is still relevant and share them again. Your new followers may not have read these yet.
11. Include a list of your most popular posts on your “About” page. New visitors to your site will be prompted to read your best work first which will increase the chances that they will become subscribers.
12. Respond in a timely fashion to comments on your posts. This is what social media is all about – developing relationships and connections. Your blog should be an invitation into a conversation. Not responding to comments makes your readers feel as though they are listening to a monologue and they will quickly lose interest.
Patience is a virtue that all bloggers must have – or develop. It takes time to build a following. If you want results, you must be consitent and determined. Start promoting your blog with these 12 easy steps and you will soon begin to see your following grow.
All you bloggers out there: do you have any other tips on how to effectively promote a blog? What has worked for you?